Tyler McDonald
Media reflecting Diversity
            I would say that comics and media have definitely started to reflect diverse audiences.  There are more characters being played by with diverse backgrounds.  For instance, there a homosexual in X-Men who gets married.  Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are lesbian lovers.  The media is making a Black Panther movie this year which I think is a good step in the Superhero/ comic book world.  Nick Fury was white in the comics but in the Avengers he is played by Samuel L. Jackson.  I would say homosexuality has come a long way in the comics/ media and society.  It is far more accepted and featured in tv shows and movies. 

            I feel like this change is going to last.  It has definitely been a slow process but I think that is the reason it is going to stay.  When an idea is forced on someone it usually isn’t perceived well but when someone is slowly expose to it, it becomes much easier for them to accept/ digest.  I’m not saying that it is good that people are slow to accept but I just feel like that is how most people are.  That is why I believe this change is going to last.  Especially when it comes to the acceptance of same sex relationships.  Now that same sex marriages are legal, I feel like that was a big step taken in showing acceptance towards homosexuality.  Even when it comes to trans genders I feel like that is the case.  I wouldn’t say they are at the same level but society is taking steps in that direction of acceptance.  On our campus there are trans genders signs instead of just having a male/female sign which I think is an obvious sign of acceptance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog